Our online Summer Reading portal offers top-quality reading and learning activities. The program begins May 1, and will run through August 31. The program is free, open to all ages, and offers prizes for every 5 hours you read! Read whatever you want to qualify, no library card required. ReadSquared includes reading programs for all ages! Some of them overlap, for instance, a pre-teen going into the 6th grade may choose either the Children’s or Teen program, but they may only register for one at a time. Adults are welcome to participate as well!
One nice thing about this program is we only have one link to worry about. So start by visiting our online Summer Reading Portal. Once on the READSquared site you’ll find the link to register by the login section.
The first option you’ll have is to choose to register either as an individual or a family. To register an individual click “Myself” and follow the prompts. Once you’re finished, you’ll be taken to your Dashboard, which we’ll talk about in a moment.
If you want to set up a family account, click “Myself and Others,” and follow these steps:
- Create the adult account first. Choose your age and “Adult SRP” from the drop-down lists.
- Enter your information and create a username and password. No email address required.
- After your setup is finished, select child #1’s age and reading program, then enter their information on the next page. (No need to create a separate username, you can manage the whole family from one account!)
- If you need to add another child, click “continue” and repeat step 3. Otherwise click “finished” and you’ll be taken to your Dashboard.
Managing Multiple Accounts
On the left side of the dashboard, you’ll see a drop down list where you can toggle the different individuals linked on your account. You can enter activities, choose prizes, and see their details all from your screen.
If you originally signed up as yourself, you can still create a family account either by linking to existing accounts, or adding new ones. Just click on the “Account” drop down to see either of these options. From this screen you can also manage any previously linked accounts.
Ok, here’s the most important feature you need to know about. To enter the minutes that you’ve read, click “Enter Activity” from your Dashboard. From here click on “Minutes.”
On the next screen enter the minutes you read and the date. None of the other fields are required, but you may also include the title, author, ISBN, and a book review if you wish.
For those managing multiple accounts, you can actually enter minutes for the whole family. If you’re only entering minutes for one person, be sure to un-check the other names listed at the bottom of the window. Hit submit, and you’re finished!
Click on this tab to view your reading log, reviews written, missions (click “other”), and any prizes won. Note that on your reading log you can change details like adding books to your logged minutes, but you cannot delete or alter minutes entered. If you have made a mistake and need your log adjusted, contact us and we’ll take care of that for you.
Raffles are the old prize packages without the drawing slips, which saves time and trees! Here’s how you enter through READSquared:
- Earn points by reading and completing activities (missions, events, etc.). Points purchase raffle tickets, which you can do on this tab. The more tickets you have in a raffle, the greater your chance of winning.
- Most raffle tickets cost 300 points. To earn 300 points, you’d have to read 5 hours (300 minutes), or have enough points from a combination of reading and activities (like missions).
- You can spend all of your points on one raffle, or try for more than one.
- Click on the Raffles tab and you’ll have the option to get tickets, see prize details, and review which tickets you’ve spent.
Missions are extra challenges that can earn you badges, points to spend on raffles, or other special awards! Some require event attendance, secret codes, or uploading a photo.
On the Missions tab you’ll see a list of these challenges and their descriptions, badges, and how many activities it takes to complete them. Some might be a challenge to read a certain number of books from a specific list, or to come to events at the library. Click on any mission to see more details and activity instructions.
Activities can be completed in a variety of ways. They may just be a checkbox, or they might need a secret code, or an image to upload. Be sure to read your instructions!
Once you’ve completed all of the activities, you complete the mission! You will receive a badge, and sometimes a prize. You’ll be notified in your messages, and prizes can be picked up at our summer reading table.
Be sure to also check out the reading lists and events tabs to get book recommendations or see what’s happening at the library.
If you have any questions, please call 304-462-5620.